WASHINGTON — A Kuwaiti man held by the United States without trial for nearly 13 years in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, was released early Wednesday, the military said. His repatriation is the first transfer to result from a new system of parole-board-like hearings to periodically review whether it is still necessary to keep holding prisoners.
The Kuwaiti, Fawzi al Odah, is also only the second low-level prisoner to be released from Guantánamo this year. Last year, President Obama had pledged to revive his efforts to close the prison. Administration officials said that an end-of-year flurry might be coming: The Pentagon has notified Congress that nine other detainees, including six bound for Uruguay, may soon be transferred.
Kuwaiti Prisoner Held for 13 Years Is Released From Guantánamo - NYTimes.com